Saturday, May 14, 2005

Real Kiteboarding (Day 2)

I left NYC early on 5/12 and flew down to Norfolk, North Carolina (or is it Virginia?). Anyway, the flight was only an hour and 10 minutes, and the car ride here was 2 hours long. I thought "damn, this is a big place". Being trapped in New York City, one can easily forget what land looks like (instead of streets). I got here late afternoon and just chilled, met a few people. Then I found out that I really needed a car. Again, as a New Yorker, I mistakenly assumed that everthing is around the kiteboarding school. As it turned out, it's impossible to walk to even the smallest grocery store. So an instructor was nice enough to take me grocery shopping, and I got enough food for the week (but at this time, I am quickly depleting my resources, so I think may have to make another run).

The first day of kiteboarding was hard. The wind was gusty, which was great for kiteboarding, except that I have already forgotten all my kite skills. I had trouble getting on the board. The temperature was in teh 50s so it was freezing to be out there, especially when I was waiting on the jetski.

Today the weather was awesome (in terms of temperature) it was in the 70s, but we've got no wind in the morning, so we practice a little board skills doing wakeboarding. I had trouble getting up because after all, some arm strength is required. But I finally got it and had a really nice ride behind the jetski, I learned what edging is all about.

In the afternoon, we went over the tech stuff while waiting for the wind to pick up. We got out there and I used a 13m kite due to the light wind. I was much more comfortable with thekite today, I was able to feel comfortable to let go of one hand, and I learned to get into my board pretty quickly. However, I still haven't really ridden yet. I would get the water start and go back down into the water. I was exhausted. But everthing is coming together, and the other student who I am taking the lesson with, Trish (who can ride already), complemented that I was a quick learner. It was definitely comforting to know that I am doing something right.

My goal for tomorrow (the last day of camp) is to get comfortable with the water start and hopefully get some short rides!!!

Ouch, I am all bruised up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home