Thursday, November 17, 2005

Day 2 in Miami kiteboarding

I miss the water. It feels great yet scary to be kiting again. The last time I kited, I nearly died (okay, maybe I am exaggerated it, I could have drowned out of exhaustion). I called Miami kiteboarding school this morning and the guy told me to call back to check in on the wind because the wind was weak in the morning. So I waited around for 3 hours and worked on my immigration law outline. Then I sat by the pool for half an hour before meeting my instructor at the Crandon Marina.
I took my 13m kite because the wind was about 10-13 knots. My instructor, Juan (I think that’s his name I am really bad with names), went through some basics with me just to see where I am at, then I got on the board. I got some short downwind rides to the right today, and got like ONE left ride. I got tired very quickly because, unlike the schools in cape hatteras, there was no jetski to pick up my board for me and drop it in front of me. I have to walk back to where we anchored the boat everytime to start. The 13m, according to my instructor, is too big for me. Plus this particular kite drifts downwind so I had to fight the pull everytime I walk back. My legs gave in so I called a break, since there was another girl who was taking the lesson today. She bodydragged for about an hour while I sat on the boat to rest, then I gave it another try. However, the wind started to die and became inconsistent, so I decided to call it a day. I got back to the marina at 5:55pm.
Then I accepted my instructor’s invitation go out to eat, we went to little Havana. Great Cuban food. Oh, did I mention he lives in his van??? Yeah, he drove down from Montreal 2 weeks ago and he’s been living in his van. Now that’s some living huh? Anyhow, I hope I will get to go out again before Monday.
I am having a blast here though even though I am all by myself. It’s great going to sleep early and waking up early to do some work. The driving around is also relaxing. If there is no wind tomorrow, I may be daring and drive to downtown Miami or South Beach tomorrow. Pray with me to the wind god.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home