Sunday, March 05, 2006

Day 2 in St. lucia

It was my first full day in St. Lucia. I got up around 7:40 am so that I can get ready for breakfast at 8:30am. The owner, Brigita (Elly), made breakfast for the guests. I was one of the two guests that were staying at the house. The "rainbow apt" I am staying at is beatiful...though I have to hide myself in the mosquito net most of the time. Anyway, I got to the reef/station (the kitesurfing place) at around 930am and I just waited around for the instructor to start. The wind seemed very strong, but as a matter of fact, there was only about 13 knots.

This was the first time in a while since I last kited in the ocean. I have done it mostly in the bay. But the kiting area is quite safe here. The area is surrounded by the reef and the wind is never offshore, no matter what happens, my board and I always floated back to shore.

The salt concentration in the water is VERY high, it's good for floating, but not great for beginner like me (drink alot of it). I had to start with my left foot forward and I was able to get up on the board and w0rk the kite a bit. Nevetheless, my left side is my bad side. I was totally retarded. My instructor, Bart (I think that's his name), is from Holland. Funny man. A goof ball.

I spent two hours in the water, but I didn't kite as much. I spent alot of time getting back my board. Damn, it's hard to go upwind to get my board back. I was called back to shore many times because I couldn't get my board and just had to wait for my board to float back. AT least I got a good workout =)

After kiting I stayed around and went to town with Bart to get a socket converter. I could not charge any of my electronics, including my computer. Good thing Bart took me to a electronic store and found it.

brigita picked me up so we can get ready to go to a Salsa party in another town that is about an hour and a half away. Yep, Salsa in St. lucia. I wanted to go and see what the scene is like. She wanted me to go too since I told her that I danced. Alia, Jasmine, Brigita and I all went in a car to the town of Caprisi. The car ride there wasn't that fun, it was mountain road. I wanted to puke. Brigita and Jasmine were chatting it up (they are in their 50s).

The salsa party turned out kind of lame. It was at a secondary school auditorium (small) and the teacher taught a introductory salsa and merengue class. I have to say that she was a very good teacher. There was also a performance, it was pretty good, but NY dancers are much better =P

(Oh my goodness, the mosquitos are killing me!!! I think they are gonna eat me alive)

The best part of the night was the dinner at KFC and the coffee/ice cream after dinner. The girls had a good chat about men. St. lucia has many more women than men and the men here are all players regardless whether they are married or not. Brigitta and Jasmine are victims, both of their husbands have been with other women. Brigitta is now divorced, Jasmine is still married to hers. It was a great conversation, as it is always a great conversation to talk about men.

I got back around midnight. Good thing there is no wind the next day...I can just rest on the beach and sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home