Monday, September 04, 2006

Friggin Chicken Loop!

I had a good solid first session yesterday. I got out early, around 315pm. It took a while to untangle my lines but I was able to setup quickily and get out on the water. I was sailing abit, going upwind on both sides...though I need to learn how to curve harder and longer.

Then I got greedy, I wanted to go again. I got my kite back on the upper launch area. I didnt detach my lines to save time, but it only took longer to figure my lines out. Not only that, I apparently made it worse so I had to detach my lines 3 times to straighten everything out.

Then I finally went out. Smooth start. But I realized that the wind had died down, so I powered up my kite. Then SOMETHING happened. My chicken loo came out, I was unhooked. Dammit I thought to myself.

I remember what Bart had taught me. "Let go of the bar, and just grab the loop with both hands and get it hooked on again". I tried, but I wasn't strong enough so the kite started to loop around and around. and finally went into the water. I was able to swim to my bar, hook in, and relaunch. Hwoever, I was already in the wind shadow area. So the kite fell again.

The kite was floating in the direction of the beach but just before it got there, it took a turn and the current took it down the beach, approaching the rocks. I yelled out to a windsurfer, asking him to stop my kite for me, but he refused. He probably didn't know what to do so rather not get involved.

Thank goodness a kiter Ed was also down there, his own kite had gone over to the rocks so he picked up my kite too and walked back. I was already exhausted from swimming, I could not imagine floating down even more to the rocks and attempt to rescue my kite.

A note to self: don't fuck up! Stay on the board!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home